03 October 2009
Design Camp: 12 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Buy a Product
Jason Linke, Aveda Packaging Director, gave a great workshop at Design Camp on packaging sustainability.
Here are 12 questions you can ask yourself before you buy a product:
1. Do I need it?
2. Can I do without it?
3. Can I borrow it, rent it or get it used?
4. Is the project designed to minimize waste?
5. Can it be smaller, lighter or made from fewer materials?
6. Is it designed to be durable or multifunctional?
7. Does it use reusable resources?
8. Is its reuse practical and encouraged?
9. Is the product and/or packaging refillable, recyclable or repairable?
10. Is it made with Post-Consumer material?
11. Is it available in a less toxic form?
12. Is it available from a socially and environmentally responsible company?
Other Insights from the workshop:
Cap Recycle Program
Aveda tweets will start within a month but they are on Facebook
From read Cradle to Cradle