17 March 2010

Easter or Pascha?

kitty cat rabbit by xmoonbloom's

Image VIA: xmoonbloom's

Now that I'm older I see the contrast of the two words that in my life have described this time of year... Easter and Pascha. Pascha means Passover in Greek. To be exact... Pascha is a transliteration of the Greek word, which is itself a transliteration of the Hebrew pesach, both words meaning Passover.

Easter lately, seems less about Christ passing us over into eternal life and the price he paid for us to have this choice, and more about bunnies (which i love), eggs (so yummy) and all the other spring icons. (holy run on sentence batman)

It is really hard to navigate as a designer. I love "easter" patterns and all things spring, but my feet are deeply planted in the Orthodox beliefs, customs and wisdom of 2,000 years of teaching that has gone unchanged. Just how do you really blend the two? I hope in the years to come I will be better able to answer this question.

No comments: